[all][tc] python 3.11 testing plan

smooney at redhat.com smooney at redhat.com
Wed Aug 23 11:07:36 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-08-23 at 09:10 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 8/22/23 19:26, Tony Breeds wrote:
> > Using testing would partially address some of this
> > but it's still a pretty big ask.
>
> The problem with testing, is that it gets he latest interpreter version
> *AFTER* we solve all the bugs. What I'm asking for, is that we have the
> needed infrastructure so we can check for incompatibility *before* they
> actually affect us. This means testing using the non-default Python
> version when it's uploaded to Unstable.
right unfortunetly as you are aware we use eventlet and other deps that need to have
supprot for the latest python before we can actully use it.
i mention eventlet beacuse its the dep that is most sensitive to python version changes
because of how it works and the dep that would be the harderest for us to remove.

> Now, if we have a way to do this in Debian testing before the next
> interpreter version reaches it, that'd be even better, I guess.

the only way we could even remotely do that would be via a perodic
or other low run count job that we ocationally review.
realistically this is not really something i think we can cahase with
our current upstream capasity.

having said that we did just recently merge the devstack venv support
and tools like https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv exist.
so if adding debian unstable or testing is not an option and peopel were willing to develop a job
(devstack or tox) that worked with pyenv on say ubuntu 22.04 we could in theory test any python version
we wanted without the need to mirror fast moving repo to afs.