[all][tc] python 3.11 testing plan

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Aug 22 16:23:46 UTC 2023

 ---- On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:05:56 -0700  Thomas Goirand  wrote ---
 > On 8/21/23 20:16, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 >
 > > Hi All,
 >

 > > Some of you are part of discussion for python 3.11 testing but If you are not aware of it,
 >
 > > below is the plan for python 3.11 testing in OpenStack.
 >

 > > Non voting in 2023.2
 >
 > > -------------------------
 >
 > > You might have seen that python 3.11 job is now running as non voting in all projects[1].
 >
 > > Idea is to run it as non voting for this (2023.2) cycle which will give projects to fix the issue and make
 >
 > > it green. As it is running on debian (frickler mentioned the reason of running it in debian in gerrit[2]), it
 >
 > > need some changes in bindep.txt file to pass. Here is the example of fix[3] which you can do in your
 >
 > > project also.
 >

 > > Voting in 2024.1
 >
 > > --------------------
 >
 > > In next cycle (2024.1), I am proposing to make py3.11 testing mandatory [4] and voting (automatically
 >
 > > via common python job template). You need to fix the failure in this cycle otherwise it will block the
 >
 > > gate once the next cycle development start (basically once 891238 is merged).
 >

 > > [1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/openstack-zuul-jobs/+/891227/5
 >
 > > [2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/openstack-zuul-jobs/+/891146/1
 >
 > > [3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/891256
 >
 > > [4] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/891225
 >
 > > [5] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/openstack-zuul-jobs/+/891238
 >

 > > -gmann
 >

 > Hi,
 >

 > This is very nice, though, IMO, it's too late. Bookworm was released
 >
 > with OpenStack Zed, to which I already added Python 3.11 support (if you
 >
 > guys have some patches to add on top, let me know, but as much as I
 >
 > know, it was already functional).
 >

 > So now, the current plan is to ... test on py3.11. Yeah, but from the
 >
 > Debian perspective, we're already on Python 3.12. The RC1 is already in
 >
 > Debian Experimental, and I expect 3.12 to reach Unstable by the end of
 >
 > this year. Once again, I'll be the sole person that will experimenting
 >
 > all the troubles. It's been YEARS like this. It's probably time to
 >
 > address it, no?
 >

 > I'd really love it, if we could find a solution so that I stop to be the
 >
 > only person getting the shit in this world. :)
 >

 > What would be awesome, would be to run Debian Unstable, with the latest
 >
 > interpreter, as non-voting jobs.

Thanks Zigo for you testing and effort, that is really appreciated.

I like the idea of testing the 3.12 in advance even with RC release. Also, as you mentioned
we will be testing it in advance as non voting so doing it on Debian experimental version
is not bad idea. this will give projects more time to fix the issues. And once we have stable
version of distro having v3.12 then we can switch the job to that distro.

I think ubuntu also going to package it in ~Nov/Dec time so that also one option
to add it as non voting.

-gmann