[puppet] Planning deprecation of puppet-qdr

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 15 16:49:39 UTC 2023

Hello,

In Puppet OpenStack projects, we maintain the puppet-qdr module, which
manages
the QPID Dispatcher Router (aka. qdr). We've been using this module to
deploy
the qdr service in one of our CentOS jobs so that we can test deployment
with
the amqp1 messaging driver.

However, the amqp1 driver was recently deprecated[1] because of lack of
packages built for Ubuntu and Debian.
[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/oslo.messaging/+/861070

While I'm now deprecating support for amqp1 driver in our module and
removing
usage of the deprecated driver in our CI, I'm also planning to deprecate
the puppet-qdr module because we no longer have requirements to manage the
qdr
service within OpenStack deployments.

I'm sending this email to hear any feedback about the module deprecation
before
we decide its actual timeline. In case you have any thought/concern/etc then
please let me know.

NOTE:
Because the puppet-qdr module has been used by TripleO, my current plan is
deprecate the project instead of retiring it, which keeps its stable
branches open.

Thank you,
Takashi Kajinami