[glance][kolla] importing images on filesystem without copy?

Rob Jefferson techstep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 19:57:32 UTC 2023

Folks,

I'm trying to wrap my brain around whether this is possible.

Suppose I've configured Glance to use a filesystem backend. Would I be able
to point Glance at a directory of existing images, and have it import the
images into OpenStack (thus populating the database) without having to copy
them? It seems fairly redundant to have the images on the filesystem, and
to make copies as part of the creation process.

Looking around in the documentation, it seems that this may not be
possible, but I'm not sure if there's an alternate path or if what I'm
asking is ill-posed.

Any advice would be useful.

Thanks,

Rob