[RALLY] Running Rally tasks and Tempest tests in multi-user context

Andriy Kurilin andr.kurilin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 18:37:49 UTC 2023

hi!

чт, 3 авг. 2023 г. в 18:22, Taltavull Jean-François <
jean-francois.taltavull at elca.ch>:

> Hi openstack-discuss,
>
> I’m currently using Rally v3.4.0 to test our OpenStack Zed platform.
>

> Rally has been deployed on a dedicated virtual machine and Rally tasks and
> Tempest tests, launched on this machine by Rundeck, run pretty well.
>

> Now, I wish every OpenStack team member could launch whatever scenario or
> test he wants, when he wants, for example after having applied a service
> configuration change on the staging platform.
>
> And a question is arising: can several users launch different Rally
> scenarios or Tempest tests at the same time, from their own Linux
> account/environment, using the same Rally, the one which is deployed on the
> dedicated machine ?

Rally Task framework itself does not have limitations for parallel
executions.
But it is worth considering a few nuances:
- Database backend. Rally is configured to use SQLite by default. It does
not support simultaneous write operations, which can be an issue for using
a dedicated rally instance for running parallel tasks. Switching to
MySQL/Postgres should not have such an issue.
- File descriptions. If you run too many parallel tasks with a huge number
of parallel iterations, you may face default linux limitation of open file
descriptors.

I never ran Tempest simultaneously for the same cloud, so I cannot
guarantee that there are no bugs, but it should be ok in general.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Kurilin.