[Cinder][LVM backend] LVM vg backed by a shared LUN

wodel youchi wodel.youchi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:07:36 UTC 2023

Hi,

The examples I could find on the internet using LVM as backend for Cinder,
they expose a local disk using lvm via Cinder.

I did this configuration and I am wondering if it's correct, especially
from a "simultaneous access" point of view.

I have an iSCSI target backed by targetcli that exposes a LUN to my compute
nodes. I did configure the iscsi connexion manually on each one of them and
they all see the LUN, then on one of them I created the cinder-volumes VG
(the other nodes can see the modifications), then I configured Cinder with
lvm backend using this VG and it worked. I created some volumes on it
without issues using my account. But what about when there are multiple
tenants that try to create multiple volumes on it, is this configuration
safe?

Regards.