[security-sig] Ask base recommendation for handling vulnerability which affects both OpenStack code and vendor code

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 19:26:57 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 10:14 AM Vanou Ishii (Fujitsu) <
ishii.vanou at fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for reply. I have already fixed that vulnerability and fix patch
> was merged into OpenStack project. In that case, patch review was held in
> public even that patch was related to vulnerability fix.
> What I would like to say is following:
>
> "I think it's good idea to add policy to OpenStack security document[1].
> That policy is OpenStack community is encouraged to be open to handle
> vulnerability which needs fix both in OpenStack code and vendor library
> code if that vendor library takes good role in that OpenStack project."
>
> Above idea comes because when I consulted OpenStack project member about
> vulnerability fix whose root cause is in vendor library but both OpenStack
> code and vendor library, member was not open to collaborate working on
> vulnerability.
> Is such addition to OpenStack security document reasonable? I ask this
> because there was discussion, in my colleague team, about there is no
> explicit description to openness to working on such situation in OpenStack
> doc.

I believe there is a difference of impression as well, which can impact
perception of openness. An explicit statement or policy document
requirement won't fix the impression or perception which may result.

There can be agreement to fix an issue, but disagreement on the process or
the constraints. For example, in OpenStack, we have specific policies to
handle the behavior of backports in terms of breaking changes. It means for
such fixes, we have a very narrow path we can walk, and the more consensus
and community buy-in we generate in that process makes everyone's job
easier. Yet, the original proposed fix may not meet the policy requirements
and usage constraints, and that push back can leave an impression of
refusal to collaborate, which is not the intent. The key is in a dialog.

Dialog is often required and it requires mutual compromise and respect for
boundaries. Depending on a project's context, it may be that what is being
asked of them is bordering on a feature because an end user may still need
to make a choice and the prior insecure path may still need to be
supported. This all can leave differing impressions, which is definitely
difficult to navigate and only compounded with competing demands on
contributor's time.

-Julia

Regards,