Does cinder-backup support multi-backend?

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Thu Apr 13 10:32:59 UTC 2023

Hello again,
(added Petr and Gorka to CC, as we discussed some of the issues with
cinder-backup and object storage at cinder meetings)

On 13/04/2023 08:44, Nguyễn Hữu Khôi wrote:
> I feel that people don't use cinder-backup because it is slow and not
> show more stats such as how many percent to complete a backup job,

I also suspected that cinder-backup is not extremely common and mostly
the RBD driver is used.
That's why I asked on the ML
(https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2022-September/030263.html)
about others experience with object storage.
E.g. OVH just introduced volume backups
(https://docs.ovh.com/us/en/public-cloud/volume-backup/) and they say
that those end up in object storage.

I just dropped a larger comment summing into an existing bug about
backups timing out
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1918119/comments/2)
as this is exactly what we observed with chunked driver backups as well.

Regards

Christian