[ptl] Need PTL volunteer for OpenStack Winstackers

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Apr 12 07:46:32 UTC 2023

Le mer. 12 avr. 2023 à 08:56, Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> a écrit :

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 2:42 AM Takashi Kajinami <tkajinam at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 2:28 AM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>  ---- On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 02:01:38 -0700  Slawek Kaplonski  wrote ---
> >>  > Hi,
> >>  >
> >>  > Dnia wtorek, 11 kwietnia 2023 10:49:44 CEST Takashi Kajinami pisze:
> >>  > > This probably causes a bit wider effect than just retiring the
> winstackers
> >>  > > project.
> >>  > >
> >>  > > I see some projects (cinde, designate, glance and os-brick) depend
> on
> >>  > > os-win which is under
> >>  > > governance of winstackers and will be retired. Also, even some more
> >>  > > projects (Neutron, os-vif,
> >>  > > ovsdbapp, oslo.log, etc) supports windows without os-win.
> >>  > >
> >>  > > If we retire Winstackers, then is it reasonable to remove all
> >>  > > implementations to support Windows ?
> >>  >
> >>  > That's very good question IMO. And, from Neutron perspective very
> important according to the removal of netifaces dependency - it would be
> much easier to remove it by removing all "windows" module from Neutron repo
> rather than refactoring it.
> >>
> >> I agree. Thanks, Takashi for raising it.
> >>
> >> If we retire Winstackers then yes, it means all dependencies of any
> functionality (user-facing or internal)
> >> need to be removed also. This is not a good situation for us as window
> support of OpenStack, if I am
> >> not wrong, Cloudbase is the only company maintaining and supporting the
> window support since starting.
> >> If there is any company having their customer based on windows then
> this is the right time to step up and help
> >> in maintaining this project. Otherway (based on project wants and have
> the bandwidth) is to implement the
> >> alternate way in projects for window support (the one you mentioned has
> window support ).
> >>
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong but what cloudbase has been maintaining
> is support for windows guest
> > instead of windows host.
> that is incorrect cloudbase provide the third party ci that test
> deploying openstack compute nodes on windows.
> that is the in/out of tree hyperV virt driver and the ovs on windows
> supprot used with os-vif and neuton ml2/ovs plugsins on windows.
>
> while we are happy to review fixes for hyper v /windows hows we now no
> longer have any way to test these changes in ci ro locally as we
> don't have a maintained way to deploy devstack on hyper v/windows hosts.
>
> out side fo the cloud base init package which is optional there is no
> depency on cloudbase to support windows guest.
> that is unaffected. but windows host support is now effectivly
> unmainated and untested.

FWIW, the Nova project usually follows a procedure for virt drivers that
are no longer tested by a 3rd party CI.
If no maintainers can continue to verify that a in-tree virt driver won't
have any regression, then the Nova community deprecates the virt driver.

Here, that means that by a next release, we will deprecate Hyper-V virt
driver unless someone tells us that they can help.
-Sylvain (which will create a specific ML thread for it)