[interop][ptg] Interop Bobcat vPTG summary

Martin Kopec mkopec at redhat.com
Thu Apr 6 14:11:38 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

here is a summary of the discussions. The full agenda can be found here [1].

== Current pain points and challenges of interop testing ==
The current guidelines don't contain complex enough tests - apart from api
tests we should also have more functional tests which mock users'
interactions with the cloud - we should test as a real user would use the
cloud.

People could fake the refstack results - after a discussion we came to an
agreement that those people would always find a way, there is no need for
coming up with sophisticated ways to prevent it. The point of Interop is to
provide a check for vendors/users to see where they stand with their
product based on the agreed standards.

Use of Interop's tooling is complicated - there have been reports that
users struggle with refstack-client and tempest. There is an ongoing effort
to create a refstack container which would contain all necessary tools and
could be run with just one command.

Passing the Interop's guidelines means interoperability on which level?
Passing the guidelines should mean being in compliance with the beforehand
community agreed upon standards.

Getting vendors running the interop tests more often - we only came up with
the strategies which are already being used, such as expirations and
guideline versioning.

== Future strategy ==
The future strategy could be summarized in 3 points:
* discuss the possibility for using sdk-based and tobiko testing
* better describe to users the expectations they should have for clouds
which assert interoperability
* look into expiration of older standards and require that compliant
providers indicate to users which version of the standard they last
tested/passed

[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/bobcat-ptg-interop

Regards,
--