[openstackclient] openstack cli broken after update to Wallaby

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Tue Apr 4 14:34:28 UTC 2023

Hi *,

today I upgraded my virtual test environment from V to W when (Ubuntu
20.04) all of a sudden cli commands didn't work anymore with this
stack trace:

---snip---
root at control01:~# openstack network agent list
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/openstack", line 6, in <module>
     from openstackclient.shell import main
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openstackclient/shell.py",
line 23, in <module>
     from osc_lib import shell
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/osc_lib/shell.py", line 24, in <module>
     from cliff import app
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cliff/app.py", line 22, in <module>
     import cmd2
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cmd2.py", line 585, in <module>
     _ = pyperclip.paste()
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pyperclip/__init__.py", line
667, in lazy_load_stub_paste
     copy, paste = determine_clipboard()
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pyperclip/__init__.py", line
558, in determine_clipboard
     return init_gi_clipboard()
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pyperclip/__init__.py", line
167, in init_gi_clipboard
     gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0')
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 129, in
require_version
     raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace Gtk not available
---snip---

I found this bug [1] describing the same issue but there has been no
progress. I posted my comments there as well. I found one way to get
the openstack shell to work by installing libgtk-3-dev (I found a hint
in a search engine). Apparently, python3-cmd2 requires
python3-pyperclip which requires python3-gi and so on. Is this really
the desired way? I didn't notice anything in the release notes (maybe
I missed it). When comparing to a different environment (Victoria on
baremetal) I see that libgtk-3 is installed there (not -dev though),
but even with libgtk-3-0 the error message was still present. So the
question is, which dependencies are missing where? It's not really
obvious to me. Could this already be fixed in Xena? If it is fixed
there I could do the double upgrade, of course, especially since
Wallaby is already under extended maintenance. Any comments are
appreciated.

Thanks,
Eugen

[1]