[designate][ptg] Designate Bobcat (2023.2) PTG summary

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:20:14 UTC 2023

We accomplished some big tasks in Antelope: Finishing the shared zones
feature, adding support for SQL Alchemy 2.x, and hard zone deletes.

For the Bobcat series, Designate had a pretty straightforward PTG
session with good discussion. The focus areas for Bobcat are going to
be on the batch serial number update patch[1] (deferred from Antelope)
and improving the multiple pools feature[2][3]. Multiple DNS server
pools have been a feature in Designate for a number of years now, but
we need to improve the test coverage and documentation.
Other minor work anticipated for Bobcat is to update the RBAC testing
to account for the RBAC "Direction Change"[4] in support of enabling
the new Keystone default roles as the default RBAC configuration.

We also discussed the new specification that merged during Antelope[5]
to add support for catalog zones. This specification is merged and
ready for development, but it was not clear that there are developers
planning to work on it during Bobcat. We hope this feature can at
least get started during the Bobcat series.

Thank you to everyone that participated!

Michael

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/designate/+/871255
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/designate/+/857978
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/designate-tempest-plugin/+/871184