[infra] TLS error when cloning https://opendev.org/openstack/devstack

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 30 15:07:55 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-30 15:53:22 +0100 (+0100), Neil Jerram wrote:
[...]
> For me it would be coming from wherever Semaphore's machines are.  But I
> also tried from my own laptop, based in Cambridge UK, and that failed as in
> my report that started this thread.  My ISP is Shell Energy.
>
> I just tried again from my laptop, and now the clone has succeeded.

Our server farm for Git is generously hosted within VEXXHOST's
San Jose USA public cloud region, so it's possible something is
causing disconnects reaching it from some parts of the 'net and not
others. I'm connecting to it from Charter Cable in the USA, who
peers with Zayo (formerly AboveNet) in Atlanta, and then VEXXHOST
peers with them in San Jose. Not exactly next door, but I'm only
traversing one backbone provider to get there (and with access to
the server I've confirmed the return route is mostly symmetrical
though comes back through a Zayo/Charter peering in Washington DC).

To rule out IP protocol differences, I've done repeated git clone
tests over both IPv4 and IPv6 too, with no observable issues.
--
Jeremy Stanley