[release][requirements][oslo][nova] How to fix a bug and release the fix in oslo.concurrency 4.5.x series

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Wed Sep 28 12:40:04 UTC 2022

Hi Gibi,

Thanks for raising this issue here! Some notes:

- oslo.concurrency is in *independent* release model, thus it does not
have stable branches since stable/victoria (when the model change happened)
- for openstack projects (that are not in independent release model)
upper constraint changes are generated automatically
- for projects in independent release model these should be proposed
manually for stable branches, if needed
- lower constraints can only be bumped at development phase according to
the policy [1] (i guess because this could lead to issues during
upgrades of an existing environment), however, probably after weighing
the circumstances, an exception can be granted

See my comments to your questions inline. (Anyone from Release
Management or Requirements team: correct me if i am wrong with them)

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/dependency-management.html#stable-branch-maintenance

Cheers,

Előd

On 2022. 09. 28. 12:34, Balazs Gibizer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So we have a bug[1] that was fixed in oslo.concurrency on master[2]
> and released as 5.0.1 and Zed is released with 5.0.1.
>
> The issue is present in stable/yoga as well. There we have
> oslo.concurrency upper constraint pinned to 4.5.0 [3].
>
> 1) How can I backport [2] to the 4.5.x series of oslo.concurrency to
> release 4.5.2 with the fix? I don't see a branch that I could use for
> this.
Either we use 5.0.1 for stable/yoga as well, or a bugfix/4.5.0 branch
can be cut (e.g. from 4.5.1 release) and 4.5.2 released from that (maybe
need to be released by hand as our tools don't support this if i'm not
mistaken)

> 2) If #1) is solved and 4.5.2 is released can I propose an upper
> constraint bump on stable/yoga from 4.5.0 to 4.5.2?
As I wrote above, i think it's possible, but needs to be done manually

> 3) If #1) and #2) is done. Can I propose a minimum requirement bump in
> nova's requirements.txt from >= 4.5.0 to >= 4.5.2 on stable/yoga?

If i understand correctly, simply bumping the upper constraint would
resolve our issue, so this is probably not needed. But as I said above,
it can be considered to raise it anyway.