[nova][ironic][ptg] Improved ironic<>nova driver interactions session

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 08:47:26 UTC 2022

Le jeu. 22 sept. 2022 à 18:58, Jay Faulkner <jay at gr-oss.io> a écrit :

> Hello Nova folks,
>
> At the Ironic PTG planning meeting this morning, discussion of improving
> Nova and Ironic driver interactions; and specifically this spec:
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova-specs/+/842015/ came up. It's
> important for our teams to come together and reach consensus as to how to
> fix this.
>
> According to the latest OpenStack user survey (
> https://www.openstack.org/analytics/) over 20% of Nova deployments
> utilize the Ironic driver. However, in my years operating Ironic for
> multiple different organizations, the Nova<>Ironic driver interface has
> repeatedly been the source of most operational pain. We should work
> together to prioritize saving these operators from downtime and bad failure
> semantics.
>
> I'd love for Ironic and Nova to schedule a session together to talk about
> this and try to find a solution. We owe it to our users to no longer shy
> away from this hard technical problem and fix things.

Yup, I was also wanting to have a cross-project session in the PTG for
discussing about the above spec (which is actually not really a spec, just
a document ;-) )

> What's the best way for us to get this time scheduled? Someone can feel
> free to reach out to me on IRC (JayF), or reply here and I'm sure we can
> work it out.

As you can see, Nova already has the schedule in
https://ptg.opendev.org/ptg.html
We'll be having sessions between Tuesday and Friday on the Bexar track.

Just ping me on #openstack-nova and we'll try to find a time for the
cross-project session then.

-Sylvain

Thanks in Advance,