[nova][ironic][ptg] Improved ironic<>nova driver interactions session

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Thu Sep 22 16:54:32 UTC 2022

Hello Nova folks,

At the Ironic PTG planning meeting this morning, discussion of improving
Nova and Ironic driver interactions; and specifically this spec:
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova-specs/+/842015/ came up. It's
important for our teams to come together and reach consensus as to how to
fix this.

According to the latest OpenStack user survey (
https://www.openstack.org/analytics/) over 20% of Nova deployments utilize
the Ironic driver. However, in my years operating Ironic for multiple
different organizations, the Nova<>Ironic driver interface has repeatedly
been the source of most operational pain. We should work together to
prioritize saving these operators from downtime and bad failure semantics.

I'd love for Ironic and Nova to schedule a session together to talk about
this and try to find a solution. We owe it to our users to no longer shy
away from this hard technical problem and fix things.

What's the best way for us to get this time scheduled? Someone can feel
free to reach out to me on IRC (JayF), or reply here and I'm sure we can
work it out.

Thanks in Advance,

Jay Faulkner
G-Research Open Source Software lab