[Neutron] [train] Horizon port security group management fails

Brendan Shephard bshephar at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 12:54:45 UTC 2022

Hey all,

I think we might be onto something here. With the help of @Sean Mooney
<smooney at redhat.com> ++ and @Takashi Kajinami <tkajinam at redhat.com> ++. It
appears the API request when sent from Horizon contains additional fields
that don't require update. But when the request comes from openstackcli, it
is just updating the security group field only.

openstackcli:
REQ: curl -g -i --cacert "/Users/shep/.certs/overcloud-cacert.pem" -X PUT
https://openstack.bne-home.net:13696/v2.0/ports/4df563ce-5464-4f7d-8aaf-c5496cdaefda
-H "Content-Type: application/json" -H "User-Agent: openstacksdk/0.100.0
keystoneauth1/5.0.0 python-requests/2.28.1 CPython/3.10.6" -H
-d '{"port": {"security_groups": ["a3ae6e20-67df-4a72-9d5b-cc21ad87464f",
"a31b9954-b7e6-4d4e-887c-e21a59c052ea"]}}'
https://openstack.bne-home.net:13696 "PUT
/v2.0/ports/4df563ce-5464-4f7d-8aaf-c5496cdaefda HTTP/1.1" 200 1002

Horizon API call to Neutron:
2022-09-15 00:02:46,820 33 DEBUG neutronclient.client REQ: b'curl -i
https://openstack.bne-home.net:13696/v2.0/ports/4df563ce-5464-4f7d-8aaf-c5496cdaefda
-X PUT -H "X-Auth-Token:
{SHA256}52f077cf0115286c45f1e212cbec4ecdfc56ae41704c869aeb35cea41fdbfde1"
-H "User-Agent: python-neutronclient" -d \'{"port": {"name": "",
"admin_state_up": true, "port_security_enabled": true, "security_groups":
[], "binding:vnic_type": "normal"}}\''

So when Neutron receives that request from Horizon, we get blocked because
we (as members) are not permitted to update the port_security_enabled
field. Even though it's already set to true in this case.

Given that information, the bug is probably back on Horizon here to not
include fields that don't require update.

Brendan Shephard

Senior Software Engineer

Red Hat APAC <https://www.redhat.com>

193 N Quay