[tripleo] puppetlabs-apache: soon a just a bad memory?

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 07:27:57 UTC 2022

Hello Community!

TLDR;
puppetlabs-apache broke us so many times, I'm proposing a way to get rid
of it, using plain ansible. Some work is needed, but it's "easy", and
will allow us to keep a hand on the whole configuration code.

Longer version:

You probably saw mails about issues with puppetlabs-apache releases
breaking the CI (and, by extension, TripleO). Over and over and over again.

Well, good news: this may be just a bad memory - though it will require
some work :).

I've been working on a couple of ansible roles[1] in order to just get
the needed pieces we really need in TripleO: file generation.

Once we get those 2 roles in, we'll be able to switch, service by
service, away from puppet management for apache/httpd. There's already
an on-going example[2] with ironic.

Of course, as you can see, there's some work to do, even on the puppet
side. But it's not really complicated, and can be done quickly.

I'll do my best to move things, but be prepared to get pings from time
to time if help is needed. I can't do all by myself, can I? ;)

And if anyone wants to jump in and work on the transition, please do,
and don't hesitate to reach to me, either by mail, or on #tripleo - I go
there as Tengu.

Cheers,

C.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tripleo-ansible/+/853481
[2] https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:standalone%252Fapache

--
Cédric Jeanneret (He/Him/His)
Sr. Software Engineer - OpenStack Platform