[all][ptl][release] Zed release critical issue with oslo.db 12.1.0

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 10:38:16 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-09-06 at 11:22 +0100, Stephen Finucane wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-09-05 at 19:00 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Stephen Finucane wrote:

> > > I don't think this is True. To fully prepare for SQLAlchemy 2.0 you would need
> > > to do this work, yes, however the issue here is that oslo.db no longer
> > > *defaults* to enabling one of the SQLAlchemy features that's being removed in
> > > 2.0, autocommit, and not that it no longer supports it. There's nothing to stop
> > > the affected projects from manually enabling autocommit behavior and to prove
> > > this I just put together a patch for aodh to do just that [1]. Manually enabling
> > > this feature would be my preferred approach since it means we're kicking a
> > > slightly smaller can down the road and we'll have a better understanding of the
> > > projects that still need to do work for SQLAlchemy 2.0, but I don't know how
> > > likely it is that we can land all of these in the next week.
> >
> > I agree this is the preferable option... and if we had a couple extra
> > weeks to make it happen I would pick it without hesitation...
> >
> > Here I feel to make it happen in time for the Zed release we'll need to
> > get someone to post all the autocommit option patches and potentially
> > the TC stepping in to authorize the TaCT team to force-approve the ones
> > that would not get attention from their core teams in time.
>
> I did those yesterday.
>
> Aodh: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/aodh/+/855962
> Designate: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/designate/+/855965
> Manila: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/manila/+/855967
> Ironic: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ironic/+/855969
> Heat: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/heat/+/855970
> Barbican: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/barbican/+/855972
>
> The barbican one isn't correct and I need to respin it. The rest are working as
> expected though, as proven at [1].

Actually, the barbican change isn't working because it isn't needed: Barbican
(helpfully) doesn't rely on autocommit. If we can get those other 5 patches
merged + the placement patch from gibi, we should have no issues with oslo.db
12.1.0. They're not long-term fixes and more bandaid solutions but they'll tide
us over until these projects can rework their DB layers to be SQLAlchemy 2.0
compatible in Antelope.

Stephen