[all][election][tc] TC election at risk of single-employer majority

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Sep 5 17:36:36 UTC 2022

The extended nomination period for the upcoming TC election closes
in just over two days. We need to elect people to fill 4 of the 9
seats on the TC during this round. We currently have just enough
candidates to fill the open seats, but in so doing we would end up
with a majority of the TC members employed by the same company.

Appendix 4 of the bylaws of the Open Infrastructure Foundation, the
Technical Committee Member Policy[*], states:

> In the event of a Technical Committee election that would result
> in half or more of the members of the Technical Committee being
> Affiliated, the Board of Directors may defer the effective date of
> office of the newly elected Technical Committee members who are
> Affiliated for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days after a
> resolution by the Board of Directors approving such deferral. The
> Board of Directors must pass such resolution within thirty (30)
> days of the notice of election results from the Technical
> Committee. During such period of deferral, the Technical Committee
> and the Board of Directors shall work to resolve the issue by
> agreement among themselves, such as by a resignation of one or
> more Technical Committee members or having the Individual Member
> with the next highest number of votes become a member of the
> Technical Committee. If the Technical Committee and the Board of
> Directors are not able to agree on a resolution within such thirty
> (30) day period, the Board of Directors may require another
> election for such positions.

In order to avoid this outcome, we need additional nominees with a
variety of affiliations immediately. If you've considered running
for a seat on the OpenStack TC before, now is definitely the time.
Please see earlier announcements[**] from the election officials for
details on how to submit your nomination. Thanks!

[*] https://openinfra.dev/legal/openstack-technical-committee-member-policy
[**] https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2022-August/030094.html
https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2022-August/030241.html
--