[cinder][first-contact-sig] Outreachy Mentorship Programme

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Oct 28 12:45:47 UTC 2022

[Keeping you in Cc since it seems like you're not subscribed to the
mailing list, but please still reply to the list.]

On 2022-10-28 12:08:29 +0100 (+0100), Victor Ekwueme wrote:
[...]
> I set up devstack on a Digital Ocean droplet on Ubuntu 20.04
> Server.  It installed successfully.  I am trying to make a
> contribution on 1599140.
[...]

That bug report is about improving Cinder's unit testing coverage,
so DevStack isn't really needed or involved at all, though it can
still be helpful as an example deployment of Cinder along with other
OpenStack services with which it interacts. For this particular task
though, you just need to be able to locally run unit tests
(preferably with the `tox` utility), and then create more of them.
You can do that pretty much anywhere you have a POSIX (Linux/Unix)
shell account and the ability to install some packages Cinder or its
tests depend on.

You've probably already seen the overall OpenStack Contributor
Guide, but you may have missed that the Cinder team maintains
guidance more specific to their subproject here which covers things
like unit tests in greater detail:

https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/contributor/

You can also seek assistance from other Cinder contributors in the
#openstack-cinder channel on the OFTC IRC network, which may be a
quicker way to get answers to some of your questions.
--
Jeremy Stanley