[openstack-ansible][ptg] Antelope PTG results

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:10:08 UTC 2022

Hi everyone!

As you might know, the OpenStack-Ansible team had Project Team
Gathering on October 18, 2022 and we had quite good discussions. This
email is a relatively short sum-up of decisions that were taken during
it:

* Add Zookepeer cluster deployment as coordination service.
Coordination is required if you want to have active/active
cinder-volume setup and also actively used by other projects, like
Octavia or Designate. Zookeeper will be deployed in a separate set of
containers for LXC path
* Move out Ubuntu Jammy from experimental state except Ceph
integration. This is because community repo does not have ceph
packages built for Ubuntu 22.04, so we will switch default to use
Ubuntu's native repository to get ceph from. With that you won't be
able to pick what ceph version to use, but it will work for most
usecases.
* Continue supporting Ubuntu Focal (20.04) until Antelope release as
upgrade path from Yoga to Antelope should exist and on TC PTG it was
decided that it should be tested by projects on Ubuntu 20.04.
* Update docs regarding level of support for integrated ceph-ansible
deployment with openstack-ansible to address expectations on upgrade
path.
* Address concerns regarding Glance configuration with COW backends,
with regards to OSSN notice:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OSSN/OSSN-0090
* Switch distro path to experimental due to lack of maintainers. We
should document that and mention that help is needed to keep it alive.
If not - the feature can be removed in the future.
* Cover OVN with TLS encryption. Leverage PKI role for that.
* We also agreed to switch the default network driver used by
OpenStack-Ansible to OVN as default. However, at the moment there is
not much hands-on experience on OVN from the core team, so we can not
switch default right now as we won't be efficiently helping with OVN
deployments. So following switching plan was defined:
** Document reference OVN architecture that we are going to provide
** Document implementation of extra networks that are required for
octavia, trove, etc.
** Switch AIO to OVN as default
** Add LXB jobs to neutron role
** Switch default for non-AIO
** Ensure that users who were relying on previous default (and using
LXB) have proper override during upgrade.
* Improve documentation for the Ironic role with adding a couple of scenarios.
* Convert our dynamic inventory to an inventory plugin which will be
installed during ansible bootstrap.
* Create a repository for the skyline role. We are allowed to take
https://github.com/jrosser/openstack-ansible-os_skyline as base and
move it under openstack-ansible umbrella
* Simplify documentation regarding provider_networks in
openstack_user_config and suggest using neutron_provider_networks
instead.
* Continue working on improving our CI coverage, including returning
to molecule testing but rely on the ansible and constraints version
from the integrated repo. At the same time finish cleanup of old
functional tests, including run_tests.sh, tox, etc.
* Deprecate rsyslog_server/client roles as they are hardly used as of today.

You can also check etherpad [1] where notes were taken during PTG and
that we aim to update with progress on these points implementation:

[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/osa-antelope-ptg