[manila] Antelope PTG Summary

Carlos Silva ces.eduardo98 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:52:59 UTC 2022

Hello, Zorillas and interested stackers.

Thank you for the productive PTG we had last week. Here goes the summary
for the past week's discussions. In case you would like to see the expanded
versions, please refer to [0] or check out the recordings in the Manila
YouTube Channel [11].

Different approaches for the images we use in our jobs

   - Recent changes in the Manila CI (related to the service image) made
   the jobs take longer to run and become more resource intensive, causing
   jobs to fail more often due to lack of resources in dsvm

   - We have been looking for approaches to tackle this issue

   - In the short term, if a job keeps failing due to such issues, we will
   split it into two jobs

   - One to run scenario tests (these tests spawn VMs)

   - One to run API tests

   - We agreed that this can get worse in the future with dsvm images that
   could be even more resource demanding, and that we will look for
   containerized approaches to try and solve this issue

Share backup

   - (kpdev) The proposed approach for share backup has changed

   - An existing specification [1] was restored

   - The idea is to have new APIs for share backup and a new generic Backup
   driver in a similar way to what Cinder does.

   - This would allow backends to have their specific implementations for
   share backups

   - Reviews for this specification are ongoing

Secure RBAC changes

   - Goutham has shared with the community all the good progress we had in
   Manila, and also mentioned what we did in Zed, after all the operator's
   feedback.

   - Now, we are entering a phase where we want to test a lot!

   - We have a CI jobs and some test cases covered, but we still want to
   have more coverage

   - During Antelope, we will promote a hackathon in order to accelerate
   the functional tests coverage

Outreachy Internships

   - On this topic, ashrodri, fmount, gouthamr and carloss shared the two
   proposed Outreachy project that are Manila related

   - ashrodri and fmount are proposing a project to have an intern creating
   a multi-node test environment with Devstack and Ceph [2], as these tests
   are becoming more resource demanding

   - carloss and gouthamr are proposing a project for an intern to work in
   Manila UI [3]. The idea is to close down the gap of features between Manila
   UI and the Manila API.

OpenStackSDK Manila Status

   - This has been an effort for some time, and during the Zed cycle some
   code was merged for integrating share groups and share group snapshots.

   - This is a good candidate project for an internship, and the idea is
   that we will be able to get some interns working on this project
   (potentially a project for a college capstone project)

OSC Updates

   - Zed was the release we targeted to reach feature parity with the
   native client, and we made it!

   - We had an idea to add a deprecation warning to the native manila
   client, but that will need to wait

   - There is still a missing bit for adding the deprecation warning:
   having version autonegotiation working, which is something we are targeting
   for Antelope

   - OSC is now the primary focus of the project when doing implementations
   for CLIs.

Bandit Testing / VMT

   - The Manila team was introduced to the VMT (vulnerability management
   team) and Bandit, and we had contributors sharing their ideas around having
   manila under the VMT and running bandit tests.

   - VMT

   - The audience agreed with the conditions to be under the overseen repos.

   - Goutham has volunteered to be the security liaison for Manila

   - Bandit

   - There were some errors pointed out in a preliminar test run [4].

   - We will add a bandit non-voting job and file bugs against third party
   drivers that have issues pointed out by the new job

   - New bugs will be filed and will be distributed across community members

All Things CephFS

   - Ingress aware NFS Ganesha

   - Ceph Orchestrator is now capable of creating an ingress service to
   front-end a cluster of active-active NFS Ganesha instances via a single
   load-balanced IP address

   - Previously, we would only use one single instance of NFS Ganesha. This
   introduces a SPOF and is not suitable for production environments without
   HA being handled externally (like TripleO deployments do). With this
   change, Manila CephFS NFS users would be able to deploy multiple NFS
   Ganesha servers and leverage inbuilt HA capabilities

   - Currently though manila client restrictions (access rules) will not
   work since NFS-Ganesha sees the ingress service's IP instead of the
   client's IP address.

   - ffilz proposed his design to support the PROXY protocol with
   NFS-Ganesha. Ceph Ingress can pass the Client's IP address to
   NFS-Ganesha [5]

   - An alternative would be to have cephadm assign stable IP addresses to
   ganesha instances

   - No driver changes are anticipated in either approach

   - AI: Investigating deploying ceph-ingress with devstack

   - Migration tool for Manila with CephFS NFS

   - After the new helper was introduced to the driver, we are able to interact
   with cephadm-deployed CephNFS service (which comes with a lot of
   benefits)

   - Now, we need to figure out how to upgrade deployments with CephFS NFS
   using the current helper (which interacts with NFS Ganesha through DBUS)

   - There are two main issues:

   - Representing a change in exports when migrating across NFS Servers
   (current use case) or when decommissioning NFS Servers

   - Representing exports from multiple servers - a special case enabling
   migration where an old server will eventually be decommissioned:

   - These issues were talked through and possible solutions were proposed
   and will be worked on in the following cycles. More details on [6]

   - DHSS=True for CephFS driver

   - Currently, CephFS driver, whether you'd like to use it for Native
   CephFS, NFS via DBUS, NFS via ceph-mgr only supports DHSS=False. The
   request of this feature was raised during the OpenInfra Summit in Berlin
   from several Manila users.

   - We discussed some alternatives for making it happen:

   - 1) Operator determines Ceph cluster limits, and creates isolated file
   systems and declares multiple manila backends with each filesystem

   - 2) Subvolume groups - pinning a subvolume group to mds can
   isolate/dedicate mds load

   - CephFS CI issues

   - The lack of resources in the dsvms is affecting the CephFS Native and
   NFS jobs, causing them to be unstable. The jobs often run into timeouts

   - The situation could get worse as Jammy Jellyfish packages are not
   available yet

   - We will ask the ceph-users if jammy release bits can be made available

Oversubscription enhancements

   - Storage pools supporting thin provisioning are open to
   oversubscription. This caused some problems mentioned in [7].

   - We have an open specification which we intend to merge in the Antelope
   cycle, as well as the changes to address such issue

FIPS

   - We have shared our testing status with regards to FIPS. We have jobs
   merged on stable branches up to wallaby for both manila and
   python-manilaclient repositories.

   - The next steps would be a more in-depth code audit to identify
   non-compliant libraries and making our jobs voting

   - We agreed to make our jobs voting when the Ubuntu images supporting
   FIPS are out

   - For drivers using non FIPS compliant libraries, we will notify the
   maintainers

Metadata API update

   - Metadata APIs for share snapshots were added during the Zed cycle

   - The goal for this cycle is to have functional testing and the CLI
   merged. Both patches are under review and expected to be merged not late in
   the release.

Manila CSI

   - The CSI plugin's been pretty stable in the last six months [8]

   - There was a good talk presented at KubeCon by Robert Vasek [9]

   - The next steps include getting a fix for an issue involving long
   snapshot names in the CephFS backend and supporting volume expansion in
   the OpenShift Manila CSI driver operator

Manila Configuration of VLAN Network information

   - A issue was found where Contrail Neutron Plugin did not return the
   VLAN ID during port allocation [10]

   - To tackle this issue, we have agreed to add metadata to the share
   network APIs so the administrators would be able to add VLAN as metadata
   and drivers would be able to consume it.

*Better use of bug statuses*

   - Our bugs were stuck in "New" instead of "Confirmed" or "Triaged" and
   this could be misleading.

   - We agreed to tag the bugs as confirmed or triaged depending on the
   outcome of our triaging and not leave bugs as "new"

   - We will ask the bug assignees to update their open bugs in case one of
   them has the new status, so we can have a better visibility

[0] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/antelope-ptg-manila
[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/manila-specs/+/330306
[2]
https://www.outreachy.org/outreachy-december-2022-internship-round/communities/openstack/#create-multi-node-testing-job-with-ceph