[neutron] Antelope PTG summary
Rodolfo Alonso Hernandez
ralonsoh at redhat.com
Tue Oct 25 11:00:10 UTC 2022
This is a quick summary of what we have discussed during the PTG week.
Zed summary and retrospective:
- Here is the output of this session:
- To have a core reviewer assigned per spec. This reviewer will engage
the community to review the spec and will be a kind of "godfather".
- To have a weekly status report of the active specs in the community,
to visibilize them, boost their impact and "coerce" the community to review
Neutron CLI deprecation:
- To remove the CLI code.
- Python bindings:
- Investigate and report the effort needed to make this migration in
neutron client consumers (Nova, Horizon, Heat, etc).
- Request other projects using the python bindings to move to
- Stop merging new features.
- Neutron RFE: https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1993288
- Still under development in the community, this is still not an
accepted community goal, thus we won't start the development until some
cons are discussed with the TC members (see the Neutron RFE description).
- IPmock, a new class to mock some pyroute2 objects:
- Pluggable netlink engines. Still not compatible with NetNS (namespaces)
- Transactional engine:
- A daemon is always reading the netlink and inotify, and builds a DB
with the system information. Data is read faster. This could be not
compatible with the current sync calls using privsep.
- Using NDB class.
- Customize message parser, to reduce the amount of data retrieved from
- Dump/list operators will be generators (to check the compatibility
Remove the failed devstack migration and get back to what is called
"neutron-legacy" (that was discussed before in a PTG but we didn't start
DNS subdomain support in ML2/OVN:
- On hold until there is a use case.
DNS resolver in ML2/OVN:
- The main devoplment part falls in the OVN core team. Once finished,
the Neutron part should be almost trivial.
ML2/OVN flow metering.
- Same as we currently have with ML2/OVS + iptables firewall (currently
not supported with native firewall because we can't count OF flows).
- Same as the previous feature, the main development is in the OVN core
- Implement a grenade job based on the SLURP cadence, testing from Y to
- Have the "tempest-integrated-networking" job in our gate/check queues
(patch under review).
PCI Device Tracking In Placement (Nova-Neutron session):
- The different approaches are still under development.
- Spec to be proposed during this release (see etherpad to check the
possible implementation options).
Port binding switchdev capabilities (Nova-Neutron session):
- We agreed that the current implementation is incorrect: Neutron should
not modify the port binding dictionary. Nova is not reading it but
- We won't change the current code but no new features will rely on it.
Nova mutable MTU support (Nova-Neutron session):
- For now, Neutron will document that a network MTU change requires a VM
reboot (ot port detach/attach operations) to be applied on this port.
- Neutron has three implemented personas: system wide admin, project
user and project reader.
- Tempest will integrate all RBAC testing projects during this release.
Once done, the new RBAC flag will be enabled by default.
- Neutron will create the corresponding RBAC job/jobs.
- Neutron needs to identify what is called "service role" calls (done
from other projects). This is a new concept that will be included in next
- The current iptables legacy interface could be deprecated. During this
release, Neutron will start an epic to move the current iptables API to the
new nftables API; if possible, incrementally, mixing both APIs in the same
Please, if there is any missing topic, let me know.
Regards and thank you for attending and participating.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the openstack-discuss