[kolla][requirements][packaging-sig] Follow up on https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2010377

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Oct 22 12:49:29 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-22 06:38:34 +0530 (+0530), rajiv mucheli wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply, when I tried with focal I got this error
> message:
>
> E: The repository 'http://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu
> focal-updates/zed Release' does not have a Release file.
>
> I found openstack zed distro only in Jammy release file :
> http://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/jammy-updates/

I expect those are for the Ubuntu OpenStack distribution, which is
not maintained by the upstream OpenStack community, but you can find
its documentation here: https://ubuntu.com/openstack

Ubuntu OpenStack doesn't necessarily always deploy on the same
versions of their distribution as we use to test the software (in
this case, Jammy and did not exist yet when we started making Zed),
so I've tagged the Packaging SIG in the subject line since some of
its members may be involved in that effort so could have relevant
recommendations for you.

> Also openstack kolla repo readme suggested Jammy.

I've tagged the Kolla team in the subject line since it sounds like
you may be trying to use it, and their installation recommendations
may not align with our upstream testing standards in the rest of the
OpenStack community. I also tagged the Requirements team in the
subject line since the bug report you referenced is about the
constraints file we use for upstream testing of OpenStack software.

For a more direct answer though, the openstack/requirements
repository is a tool we use in testing OpenStack software in order
to confirm that changes to it work with the specific distributions
and Python versions in the tested runtimes list I linked from my
earlier reply. It may not be a useful tool for other situations like
installing on newer distributions or with newer Python interpreters,
as you've observed. The upstream OpenStack community is currently
working on its 2023.1 release (Antelope), which is targeting the
versions you seem to be interested in:
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/runtimes/2023.1.html

Hope that helps!
--