[kolla] Monasca removal, Kafka and Zookeeper deprecation/removal

Michał Nasiadka mnasiadka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:38:32 UTC 2022

Hello,

As Kolla/Kolla-Ansible projects are implementing switch to OpenSearch - it became obvious to remove Elasticsearch (which is EOL in Kolla-provided version) and orchestrate a direct upgrade into OpenSearch.
Part of this work is removal of elasticsearch and log stash Kolla container images and elasticsearch role in Kolla-Ansible.

Since Monasca is relying on Elasticsearch and Logstash - and there are no contributors willing to make it work with OpenSearch inside Kolla/Kolla-Ansible - we decided to drop Monasca support in Zed release (especially that the CI jobs have been long failing).

One of the Monasca dependencies is Kafka (and ZooKeeper) - is there anybody using it outside of Monasca deployment in Kolla/Kolla-Ansible?

If in 4 weeks there will be no answers to this question - we will also remove Kafka and ZooKeeper container images in Kolla (and their respective roles in Kolla-Ansible).

Thanks
Michal