[release][ironic] Release desired for Ironic bugfix/N branches

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Tue Oct 4 16:57:16 UTC 2022

It sounds like no releases have ever been made from any of the
> "bugfix" branches going back over two years since their creation. Is
> this a change in how the Ironic team views those branches, or was
> the intention always to tag releases on them but nobody had gotten
> around to it?

The primary consumer historically of bugfix branches have been downstream
packagers of Ironic -- e.g. openshift. I'm pursuing creating releases of
these because after doing some research, we have customers consuming these
releases from pypi (6000 downloads of our Zed-cycle releases in 4 months).
I do not want those deployers, consuming upstream artifacts, to miss out on
backported bugfixes and patches that would be provided in a vendor release
artifact.

There is no urgency behind getting the bugfix releases made, but the
current situation where the Ironic community maintains additional branches
for longer term support but does not provide stable releases for customers
puiling upstream release artifacts is not one I wish to perpetuate.

--
Jay Faulkner