[neutron][devstack][qa] Dropping lib/neutron module

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 11:23:53 UTC 2022

Hi,

As You maybe know (or not as this was very long time ago) there are 2 modules to deploy Neutron in devstack:
* old one called lib/neutron-legacy
* new one called lib/neutron

The problem is that new module lib/neutron was really never finished and used widely and still everyone is using (and should use) old one lib/neutron-legacy.
We discussed that few times during PTGs and we finally decided to drop "new" module lib/neutron and have then rename old "lib/neutron-legacy" to be "lib/neutron" again.
Decision was made because old module works fine and do its job, and as there is nobody who would like to finish really new module. Also having 2 modules from which "legacy" one is the only one which really works can be confusing and we want to avoid that confusion.

So I proposed patches [1] and [2] to drop this unfinished module. I also proposed DNM patches for Neutron [3] and Tempest [4] to test that all jobs will work fine. But if You are maybe relaying on the Neutron modules from Devstack, please propose some test patch in Your project too and check if everything works fine for You.

In patch [2] I didn't really removed "lib/neutron-legacy" yet because there are some projects which are sourcing that file in their devstack module. As [1] and [2] will be merged I will be proposing patches to change that for those projects but any help with that is welcome :)

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/devstack/+/865014
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/devstack/+/865015
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron/+/865822
[4] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tempest/+/865821