[openstackclient] Consistency between OSC commands >>> consistency with legacy clients

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Thu Nov 24 08:48:53 UTC 2022

On 23/11/2022 17:55, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Stephen, I 100% agree. This is what has made the OpenStack client so
> much better than the legacy clients.

Yes -> this!

The major part of users' bad experiences and support efforts when using
OpenStack clouds is about clients.
Yes, users need to understand the concepts of how the resources
themselves work and how they can interact.

But if different clients come on top or if they have different names for
similar things and different approaches - this is just totally avoidable.
And to me that's is what the generic openstackclient (via openstacksdk)
is all about: Reducing complexity for humans.

Quite honestly, for my liking there should even be more conventions. Why
are there still commands that lack generic filters such
as "--project". Why is that not something that every command has to
support? If the backend API or the sdk cannot do it -> raise a bug.
But I am getting of <s>course</s> topic myself ...

In short: Please keep the focus on strongly aligning things with the
clients.

Regards

Christian