[neutron] Switching the ML2 driver in-place from linuxbridge to OVN for an existing Cloud

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Wed Nov 23 10:26:58 UTC 2022

Hey James,

I am really sorry I just get back to you now.

On 29/08/2022 19:54, James Denton wrote:

> In my experience, it is possible to perform in-place migration from
> ML2/LXB -> ML2/OVN, albeit with a shutdown or hard reboot of the
> instance(s) to complete the VIF plugging and some other needed
> operations. I have a very rough outline of required steps if you’re
> interested, but they’re geared towards an openstack-ansible based
> deployment. I’ll try to put a writeup together in the next week or two
> demonstrating the process in a multi-node environment; the only one I
> have done recently was an all-in-one.
>
> James Denton
>
> Rackspace Private Cloud

Thanks for replying, I'd really love to see your outline / list of
steps. BTW, we are actively working on switching to openstack-ansible -
so that would suit us well.
We also came to the conclusion that a shutdown of all instances might be
required. Question is, if that has to happen instantly or if one could
do that on a project by project base.
Our cloud is small enough to still make this feasible, but I suppose
this topic is or will become more important  to other, larger clouds as
well.

Regards

Christian