[all][tc] 2023.1 cycle updated testing runtime (recommended Upgrade Path testing)

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Nov 17 19:36:47 UTC 2022

Hello Everyone,

You might have seen the TC discussion[1] in PTG for the best possible testing for smooth
upgrade. When there is a distro version change in testing runtime, then we need to test
both the old and the new distro versions (for the cycle when we are bumping the distro version).
We have documented the recommended upgrade path testing in PTI also[2], refer to that
for details.

In 2023.1 cycle, we are moving from Ubuntu Focal (20.04) to Jammy (22.04)[3] and as per the
upgrade path testing we should test the Focal (20.04) also. TC has merged these updates in
the 2023.1 cycle testing runtime document[4] which are basically:

1. Testing Ubuntu Focal (20.04) in a single job (one job is enough to test the old version) in project
gate. For example, neutron did[5]. This can be a new job or one of the existing jobs.

2. Python minimum version to test is python 3.8 (default version in Ubuntu Focal). We will be
testing python 3.8 and python 3.10 unit/functional jobs. Unit test job template change has been
merged[6] which will automatically start running py38 unit test job and functional jobs can be
modified (if needed) by project side.

[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/tc-2023-1-ptg#L422
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html#upgrade-testing
[3] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/migrate-ci-jobs-to-ubuntu-jammy.html