[Openstack][FOSDEM][CFP] Virtualization & IaaS Devroom

Piotr Kliczewski pkliczew at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 16:33:52 UTC 2022

We are excited to announce that the

call for proposals is now open for the Virtualization & IaaS devroom at the

upcoming FOSDEM 2023, to be hosted on February 4th 2023.

This devroom is a collaborative effort, and is organized by dedicated folks

from projects such as OpenStack, Xen Project, KubeVirt, QEMU, KVM, and

Foreman. We would like to invite all those who are involved in these fields

to submit your proposals by December 10th, 2022.

About the Devroom

The Virtualization & IaaS devroom will feature session topics such as open

source hypervisors or virtual machine managers such as Xen Project, KVM,

bhyve and VirtualBox as well as Infrastructure-as-a-Service projects such
as KubeVirt,

Apache CloudStack, OpenStack, QEMU and OpenNebula.

This devroom will host presentations that focus on topics of shared

interest, such as KVM; libvirt; shared storage; virtualized networking;

cloud security; clustering and high availability; interfacing with multiple

hypervisors; hyperconverged deployments; and scaling across hundreds or

thousands of servers.

Presentations in this devroom will be aimed at developers working on these

platforms who are looking to collaborate and improve shared infrastructure

or solve common problems. We seek topics that encourage dialog between

projects and continued work post-FOSDEM.

Important Dates

Submission deadline: 10th December 2022

Acceptance notifications: 15th December 2022

Final schedule announcement: 20th December 2022

Devroom: First half of 4th February 2023

Submit Your Proposal

All submissions must be made via the Pentabarf event planning site[1]. If

you have not used Pentabarf before, you will need to create an account. If

you submitted proposals for FOSDEM in previous years, you can use your

existing account.

After creating the account, select Create Event to start the submission

process. Make sure to select Virtualization and IaaS devroom from the Track

list. Please fill out all the required fields, and provide a meaningful

abstract and description of your proposed session.

Submission Guidelines

We expect more proposals than we can possibly accept, so it is vitally

important that you submit your proposal on or before the deadline. Late

submissions are unlikely to be considered.

All presentation slots are 30 minutes, with 20 minutes planned for

presentations, and 10 minutes for Q&A.

All presentations will be recorded and made available under Creative

Commons licenses. In the Submission notes field, please indicate that you

agree that your presentation will be licensed under the CC-By-SA-4.0 or

CC-By-4.0 license and that you agree to have your presentation recorded.

For example:

"If my presentation is accepted for FOSDEM, I hereby agree to license all

recordings, slides, and other associated materials under the Creative

Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 International License. Sincerely,

<NAME>."

In the Submission notes field, please also confirm that if your talk is

accepted, you will be able to attend FOSDEM and deliver your presentation.

We will not consider proposals from prospective speakers who are unsure

whether they will be able to secure funds for travel and lodging to attend

FOSDEM. (Sadly, we are not able to offer travel funding for prospective

speakers.)

Submission Guidelines

Mentored presentations will have 25-minute slots, where 20 minutes will

include the presentation and 5 minutes will be reserved for questions.

The number of newcomer session slots is limited, so we will probably not be

able to accept all applications.

You must submit your talk and abstract to apply for the mentoring program,

our mentors are volunteering their time and will happily provide feedback

but won't write your presentation for you!

If you are experiencing problems with Pentabarf, the proposal submission

interface, or have other questions, you can email our devroom mailing

list[2] and we will try to help you.

How to Apply

In addition to agreeing to video recording and confirming that you can

attend FOSDEM in case your session is accepted, please write "speaker

mentoring program application" in the "Submission notes" field, and list

any prior speaking experience or other relevant information for your

application.

Code of Conduct

Following the release of the updated code of conduct for FOSDEM, we'd like

to remind all speakers and attendees that all of the presentations and

discussions in our devroom are held under the guidelines set in the CoC and

we expect attendees, speakers, and volunteers to follow the CoC at all

times.

If you submit a proposal and it is accepted, you will be required to

confirm that you accept the FOSDEM CoC. If you have any questions about the

CoC or wish to have one of the devroom organizers review your presentation

slides or any other content for CoC compliance, please email us and we will

do our best to assist you.

Call for Volunteers

We are also looking for volunteers to help run the devroom. We need

assistance watching time for the speakers, and helping with video for the

devroom. Please contact devroom mailing list [2] for more information.

Questions?

If you have any questions about this devroom, please send your questions to

our devroom mailing list. You can also subscribe to the list to receive

updates about important dates, session announcements, and to connect with

other attendees.

See you all at FOSDEM!

[1] <https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM17>
https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM23