Unable to snapshot instances on backend storage

Derek O keeffe derekokeeffe85 at yahoo.ie
Thu Nov 10 10:02:39 UTC 2022

Hi all,
When we create an instance and leave the "Create new volume" option as no then we can manage the instance with no issues (migrate, snapshot, etc..) These instances are saved locally on the compute nodes.
When we create an instance and select "Create new volume" yes the instance is spun up fine on our backend storage with no obvious issues (reachable with ping & ssh. shutdown, restart, networking, etc.. all fine) however, when we try to snapshot it or migrate it it fails. We can however take volume snapshots of volumes that we have created and are stored on the same shared backend.
Has anyone came across this or maybe a pointer as to what they may think is causing it? It sounds to us as if nova try's to create a snapshot of the VM but thinks it's a volume maybe?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards,Derek