[oslo] Moving back oslo deliverables to the cycle with intermediary release model

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Nov 9 13:21:56 UTC 2022

On 2022-11-09 12:00:29 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> if we did that then you could delvier bugfix z relases with select
> backports.
>
> moving back to release with intermediary is proably fine but ohter
> then process restrictions i dont think there is anythign that
> woudl prevent an independed released compentent form doing
> backports if they really wanted too.
[...]

It's not a problem of logistics, but rather policy. Independently
released projects are intended to be treated like other external
dependencies which are completely disconnected from our coordinated
cycle. Yes they could still add "stable" branches and backport fixes
to those and tag point releases from them, but as with external
dependencies we intentionally keep their versions frozen in our
central constraints list, so those backports don't actually get the
same degree of integration testing as cycle-with-intermediary
projects do. And if you keep unwinding the policy restrictions in
order to make independent projects behave more like cycle-based
projects, addressing the issues each of those policies is meant to
mitigate, you eventually end up at something very much like
cycle-with-intermediary anyway.
--
Jeremy Stanley