Novice question

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon May 30 11:53:09 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-05-30 at 12:06 +0100, tim+openstack.org at coote.org wrote:
> Thanks, Michael. Very reassuring. I’ll have a look and comment back.

if you have an m1 mac i woudl suggest using utm with the ubuntu 20.04 image
https://mac.getutm.app/gallery/ubuntu-20-04
to create a qemu vm whihc will use macos's hypervirio api to hardware acclearte
the l1 vm. the l2 vms will still use qemu but by using arm based images for the host os
you can get pretty good perforamce in teh vm and spin up arm based cirrous iamge with nova and get ok performance.
it will be slower then nested virt but the apple silicon macs dont support that a the hardware level.

i have mostly for my own use being developing
https://github.com/SeanMooney/ansible_role_devstack
im probably goign to rename that to "ard" by the way in the future if that link does nto work later.

this repo currently has ansible playbooks that will use the upstream devstack roles we use in ci to deploy multi node devstack
it can create vms using molecule/vagrant and then run the devstack install.

so on a linux laptop you can do

bootstrap-repo.sh
molecule create
molecule converge
and that will create a 2 node openstack based on centos 9 stream with master devstack installed and deployed.

currently the molecule role creates two 8gb vms but i have an example of using it to deploy onto externally provisioned host
as a pr https://github.com/SeanMooney/ansible_role_devstack/pull/4/files

if you continue to have troble deploying devstack by hand perhaps that will be of use to you.

it not really ready for primetime/general use but if people find it intersting ye are welcome to fork and use as ye see fit.
the molecule template seamed to set the licence to "BSD" by default. i was plaaing ot make it apache but i guess bsd
is just as good so i shoudl fix that.
anyway i just wanted to point out that UTM is proably beter the virtual box form a performace point of view.