[all][tc] What's happening in Technical Committee: summary May 13, 2022: Reading: 5 min

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sat May 14 02:31:16 UTC 2022

Hello Everyone,

Here is this week's summary of the Technical Committee activities.

1. TC Meetings:
============
* We had this week's meeting on May 12. Most of the meeting discussions are
summarized in this email. Meeting summary logs are available
@https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2022/tc.2022-05-12-15.00.log.html

* Next TC weekly meeting will be on May 19 Thursday at 15:00 UTC, feel free to
add the topic on the agenda[1] by May 18.

2. What we completed this week:
=========================
* FIPS goal is selected community-wide goal now[2].

3. Activities In progress:
==================
TC Tracker for Zed cycle
------------------------------
* Zed tracker etherpad includes the TC working items[3], we have started
the many items.

Open Reviews
-----------------
* Nine open reviews for ongoing activities[4].

Change OpenStack release naming policy proposal
In today's TC meeting [5], we discussed this topic with Foundation staff and we all
agreed to give the release name process handling to Foundation. TC will not be involved
in the process. The release name will be mainly used for marketing purposes and we will
use the release number as the primary identifier in our release scheduling, automated
processes, directory structure etc. The agreed proposal is up for review[6]

New release cadence open items
---------------------------------------
1. release notes strategy:
Brian presented the different possible ways to reflect the tick-tock ( hoping this is
the last time I am using these names as we agree to change them, see below ) release
notes combination[7] and we agreed with the 'simple' approach[8].

2. release cadence terminology
With the outcome of the legal check, it is not clear to us that tick-tock words
are ok to use for the new release cadence terminology and in what form/combination.
In TC, we decided to use a different name and 'SLURP' (Skip Level Upgrade Release Process)
is the choice of the majority. I have pushed the patch to reflect the same in the TC resolution[9].

Improve project governance
---------------------------------
Slawek has the proposal the framework up and it is under review[10].

New ELK service dashboard: e-r service
Tripleo team joined the TC meeting and we agreed to merge the master and rdo branches
in the elastic-recheck repo. It is completely fine to keep both devstack-based and tripleo focus
things and maintain them collaboratively. The hosting part will be investigated by the dpawlik

Consistent and Secure Default RBAC
We had our weekly call on Tuesday 10 May and we agreed on the 'service' role part. I will
update the spec for this.

The heat open item is still in discussion and Takashi sent an email asking the feedback about
the 'split stack' approach, please respond with your thought[11]

While we are discussing the heat/scope things, we agreed to work on the 'new defaults' at least
(separate from scope which will see later). Please find the summary/plan in etherpad L97[12]

2021 User Survey TC Question Analysis
No update on this. The survey summary is up for review[13]. Feel free to check and
provide feedback.

Zed cycle Leaderless projects
----------------------------------
No updates on this. Only Adjutant project is leaderless/maintainer-less. We will check Adjutant's
the situation again on ML and hope Braden will be ready with their company side permission[14].

Fixing Zuul config error
----------------------------
Requesting projects with zuul config error to look into those and fix them which should
not take much time[15].

Project updates
-------------------
* None

4. How to contact the TC:
====================
If you would like to discuss or give feedback to TC, you can reach out to us in multiple ways:

1. Email: you can send the email with tag [tc] on openstack-discuss ML[16].
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/fips.html
2. Weekly meeting: The Technical Committee conduct a weekly meeting every Thursday 15 UTC [17]
3. Ping us using 'tc-members' nickname on #openstack-tc IRC channel.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Next_Meeting
[3] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/tc-zed-tracker
[4] https://review.opendev.org/q/projects:openstack/governance+status:open
[5] https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2022/tc.2022-05-12-15.00.log.html#l-245