[qa] Retire os-testr

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Tue Mar 22 11:57:51 UTC 2022

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:40:46AM +0000, Stephen Finucane wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I think it's time we retired os-testr. It is already effectively unmaintained
> and we made a concerted effort some cycles ago to migrate all projects to
> stestr. I think it's time we finally closed that out. For any projects still
> using os-testr, stestr effectively provides a drop-in replacement.
>
> I'll propose patches to do this shortly. Please let me know if anyone has any
> concerns about this course of action.

Well the reason we didn't retire it after everything migrated to stestr was that
the repo contained other utilities for working with subunit streams. Primarily,
the subunit2html and generate-subunit utilities. I'm not sure if they're still being
used anywhere, but at least historically subunit2html was used to generate the
interactive web view of the test results and was run at the end of every job. The
generate-subunit tool was used by at least devstack to have build failures show up
in the test results stream (this was primarily in support of reporting it to
subunit2sql which I know has recently shut down so it might not be needed anymore).

I personally don't really have any strong feelings on whether to retire the repo or
not, but at least the last time we discussed it we kept the repo around for those
other utilities.

- Matt Treinish