[release] Independent release jobs are still using old release job templates

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 10:56:03 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 17:13 +0100, Előd Illés wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this up Stephen! I am not aware of such discussions,
> though i might missed it only.
>
> So this is about projects with 'independent release model' and their CI
> jobs. I think it's a valid question and we should solve this somehow.
>
> I could also imagine a new task in our release process / schedule, when the
> release team generates the new patches via some new scripts (which is
> somewhat identical to your second option). This has the risk though that these
> kind of patches just linger around without anyone reviewing / fixing / merging them
> (similarly like the .gitreview and TOX_CONSTRAINTS_FILE patches, which
> should be merged as soon as possible, but in lots of projects they just remain
> there open forever, causing errors time to time). Considering this, maybe the 2nd
> option is better but what you wrote as CON regarding special (ie. semver)
> stable branches could be really problematic (I don't know actually, so
> we need to ask for opinions from those projects that have such stable branches
> in their projects with independent release model).

I've thought about this more, and I don't think the issue with the special
stable branches is actually a big issue. Firstly, I've no evidence that such
things even exist so it's likely a purely theoretical issue at this point.
However, assuming these branches _do_ exist, they would have to be created
manually. There's no reason that the '.zuul.yaml' file couldn't be modified
after this was done to use the job template from the current release (i.e.
'openstack-python3-zed-jobs'), ensuring things would age gracefully. If we have
"how to request manual stable branch creation" docs somewhere, then we could
simply note this there.

I think the unversioned job is definitely the way to go now. I just need another
approver for [1] to move forward with it.

Stephen

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/openstack-zuul-jobs/+/833286