[release] Independent release jobs are still using old release job templates

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 12:07:31 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 13:38 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2022-03-11 12:26:38 +0000 (+0000), Stephen Finucane wrote:
> [...]
> > These initially caught me off-guard since I'm used to seeing a bot
> > propose these changes but I've realized that all affected projects
> > are using the "independent" release process and therefore don't
> > receive a new stable branch nor related bot-proposed commits.
> [...]
>
> It's more than this, the "independent" release model definition is
> that projects have opted out of central release management entirely:
>
> https://releases.openstack.org/reference/release_models.html#independent
>
> If you want the OpenStack release managers coordinating cycle
> activities for those projects, I suspect we may need to redefine the
> relationship there.

Yes, this would be a big disadvantage of the second option I proposed. I suspect
"option A" will allow us to maintain the existing relationship with the sole
change of "we can now potentially break your project's CI when we bump the
runtimes used by the unversioned job template at the start of a cycle (but you
can opt out by using the versioned job templates)". This seems a reasonably
uncontroversial change from my perspective, particularly given the alternatives.

Stephen