[ironic][tripleo][kayobe][tenks][vbmc] Do you also experience random issues with vbmc?

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 08:46:48 UTC 2022

Dear fellow upstream OpenStackers,

I tagged the main projects that use vbmc intensively because I have a
question regarding the stability of vbmc.
I have been working on adding baremetal testing in Kolla Ansible using
Tenks and thus also VirtualBMC.
I am encountering random failures that I am at the moment unable to debug.
It seems vbmc likes to reject the "chassis bootdev pxe" ipmitool
command from time to time (the command is issued when trying to deploy
a host).
This seems permanent per case as ironic retries this call several
times only to fail.
The error message is "Error setting Chassis Boot Parameter 5".
I can't see any trace in vbmc logs (with DEBUG enabled).
Other ipmitool commands seem to work fine (like periodic power status).
I was wondering if any of you also experienced this issue.
I am providing a link to an excerpt from the logs. [1]
It also shows a raw ipmitool command succeeding only to let the next one fail.

[1] https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/MgHHpDvVGf/

-yoctozepto