How is this overallocation possible?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Jun 27 14:24:23 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-06-27 at 15:50 +0200, Dmitriy Rabotyagov wrote:
> If I recall correctly, default CPU allocation ratio is 16. Which means you
> can multiply CPU cores by 16 and it will be fine.
> Please check
> https://docs.openstack.org/nova/yoga/admin/scheduling.html#allocation-ratios
> for more details on that.
>
> Horizon just don't know what ratio is set so shows just CPU cores of
> compute.

ya there has been a long runnign feature request for horizon to deprecate this interface and replace it with one based
on placement resouce providers going forward. by long running i mean like 3+ year before placment was split out of nova.
so i really dont know if that is even on the horizon projects radar to go fix anymore but hopfully that will get fixed eventually.

the allocation ratios resveation amoutns and other info is aviabel in placment
it also woudl allow horizon to see other resouce like vgpus, mdevs, pinned vs unpinned cpus and in the futrue pci devices.
its a rather large feature but horizon should more or less consider the hypervior api deprecated. we have not deprecatedd all
parts of the api but in general we would prefer if horizon did not use it and instead uses placment.

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/wallaby/implemented/modernize-os-hypervisors-api.html covers the most
recent change to the hypervior api in wallaby but the desire to move away form using it is much older then that.