[all][foundation][ecosystem][tc] External projects under the foundation hat

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Jun 24 19:30:55 UTC 2022

 ---- On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 03:25:08 -0500  Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote ---
 > Jeremy Stanley wrote:
 > > On 2022-06-23 12:00:58 -0500 (-0500), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > >> Yes, that is what I mean that we have not explicitly said it has
 > >> to be on OpenDev tooling as must requirement but yes we need to
 > >> update the governance documentation also to have a clear view if
 > >> "no opendev tooling then what are governance requirement"
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > I'm not sure who "we" is in this context, but the TC has "explicitly
 > > said it has to be on OpenDev tooling as must requirement" through
 > > the passages I quoted above (the referenced document absolutely
 > > states this, and was ratified by the TC). Removing that restriction
 > > is a substantive change to OpenStack's governing documents, not a
 > > mere clarification.

Well, I will not say those statements mentioned on the 'new project application' page
are different from "project has to be hosted on OpenDev" but at the same time, they are not
exactly the same. There is a difference between the "OpenStack Infrastructure" mentioned
in that document since there was no OpenDev and now when OpenDev is a separate governing
body than OpenStack. At least it is not just renaming the word "Open Infrastructure" to "OpenDev"
directly but we should discuss if that can be something from OpenStack governance like "TACT" SIG
or OpenDev directly. At least discuss, agree and explicitly state that so that we do not have any confusion
or have the same question (like this thread) in future. or Even if in future new people maintaining
OpenStack and not aware that Open Infrastructure became OpenDev may have more confusion
on these two term.

 > I agree.. Historically, the TC has had a very strong stance that we
 > should not fragment the community onto multiple platforms (for
 > communication or development) or languages (for code or speech). The
 > stated goal was to reinforce that OpenStack is a single project you join
 > (and elect TC members to steward), rather than a loose coalition of
 > several separate projects making independent choices.
 >
 > So allowing different development platforms would definitely be a step
 > in a whole new direction, and a pretty significant change. I'd expect a
 > discussion on allowing different parallel communication platforms to
 > follow next.

True, I do not deny that fact but I am saying there are changes in the situation
and a good user-facing OpenStack tool is asking if they can be part of OpenStack
or not but on the different tools, they want to maintain their code.

The question is accept that request or deny it, If deny from an OpenStack perspective then
can we have that as a separate project under OpenInfra where there is no strict requirement
of being hosted on OpenDev. Why we need to think about it because it is a beneficial tooling
for OpenStack users.

-gmann