[all][foundation][ecosystem] External projects under the foundation hat

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Jun 24 12:47:03 UTC 2022

On 6/21/22 17:34, Clark Boylan wrote:
> This isn't the only instance we've run into this. The CNCF's Cloud Native
> landscape (https://landscape.cncf.io/) requires open source projects be
> hosted on Github (not not proprietary systems....). From my perspective,
> I think this calls out why it is important for us to continue to push
> back against these rules. Software is built in a number of places and if
> we force people to use Github (and other proprietary tools) we move away
> from part of the mission here.

I very much agree here, especially considering that Github is a non-free
platform. If it was hosted let's say on *any* Gitlab instance, I would
think differently.

> I think this calls out the fundamental disconnect here. We use open
> source tools because we believe that open source needs and should be
> built with open source tools. That does require a little bit of
> investment from the project side to ensure the tooling functions
> as needed and is maintained.

Yeah, definitively!

Thanks a lot to the infra team for insisting on these subjects.
OpenStack wouldn't be where it is without you guys.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)