[all][foundation][ecosystem][tc] External projects under the foundation hat

JP E openstack at a.spamming.party
Wed Jun 22 12:57:29 UTC 2022

Hello,

My $0.02.

If gophercloud is an sdk project solely for openstack clouds (which it looks like it does), I don't see it so different than the (python) SDK we have in governance in terms of scope. As SDKs should ideally have feature parity, it makes more sense to me to group them under a same openstack team.

On top of that, being under the openstack governance will bring a certain consistency (coherence), especially in terms of testability (="This SDK version works well with this code, we've tested them together").  Please note that I don't talk about testing/development tools in this previous sentence.

Yet, this doesn't seem to work with the current contributors/contributions (different ways of working to start with).
So I think the following questions need a clear answer:
1) Do the openstack governance close the door to "different way of working", or do we change governance to allow official projects to NOT be hosted in OpenDev? (Other way to ask this question: Should we allow freedom for the contributors to chose what they want to use as "forge", as long as they are matching a common "interface" (=PTI)?)
2) If we want to change governance for more inclusivity of non-opendev projects, what do we need to change?
(Side note: I only see a reference of openstack testing infrastructure in [1], with a mention "Where appropriate", did I miss something?).
3) Is the gophercloud project ready to adapt to the PTI for go [2]?
4) If no, what are the reasons? Would it make sense to review if the PTI [0][2] is still accurate?

Some of those questions are relevant for the TC, hence I updated the title with [tc] tag.
Good luck on bringing this forward!

Regards,
JP Evrard

[0]: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html