[all][foundation][ecosystem] External projects under the foundation hat

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 21 15:29:28 UTC 2022

On 2022-06-21 17:03:00 +0200 (+0200), Artem Goncharov wrote:
[...]
> Some month ago gophercloud folks came to us and wanted to give
> source code under the foundation. Feedback from us was more or
> less: you either host on opendev and use gerrit or not at all.
[...]

I think there are some misconceptions or conflation of separate
ideas here. First, I hadn't heard that gophercloud folks wanted to
be legally represented by the Open Infrastructure Foundation. This
is an entirely separate concern from whether or not the project does
its development within the OpenDev Collaboratory. There are official
OpenInfra projects which rely on Github, Jenkins, and other tools
outside OpenDev (Kata Containers is a long-standing example there).

If you want a project hosted *within* the OpenDev Collaboratory,
that means Gerrit explicitly. The OpenDev community systems
administrators run an integrated instance of Gerrit and Zuul, and
all projects gated by OpenDev's Zuul deployment must be in OpenDev's
Gerrit deployment. As noted, that's an entirely separate concern
from whether the project is legally represented by the foundation.
--
Jeremy Stanley