[openstack-ansible] [kolla-ansible] Which deployment tool for first timer?

Laurent Dumont laurentfdumont at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 00:02:26 UTC 2022

For the sake of figuring out your options, I would also look at what
features do you actually require at the Openstack level.

I would start with the following questions to identify gaps or advantages
between the two tools.

   - What Openstack projects do you require beyond the basic services?
      - Manilla, Trove, Skydive, Octavia, Ceilometer?
   - What network topologies are you looking to support?
      - OVS, OVN, SRIOV?
   - What support model are you looking for?
      - Using community deployers means you wear many different hats. Don't
      get me wrong, support through IRC and mailing lists is great but it's a
      community effort. If this breaks at 2AM, you will be mostly on your own.
      - Canonical can offer a Juju based deployment for Openstack with
      commercial support.
      - RedHat offers RHOSP that is based around tripleo with commercial
      support.
   - Are you expecting to configure CEPH through your deployer?
   - Are there any specific tech you are already familiar with in either
   tool?

I am actually working on some deep dive into kolla-ansible and
ansible-openstack for $work but I am a bit early in that process.

In the end, like Jonathan mentioned, they both are a means to an end.

That said, it is fair to say that having two different tools that
essentially serve the same purpose is a strange position to be in. But I
guess that comes with the flexibility of opensource!