[sdk] openstacksdk 0.99.0 breaks swift object header setting

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Jun 1 17:55:08 UTC 2022

Hello,

Last week the OpenDev team upgraded Zuul which deployed zuul-executors with openstacksdk==0.99.0 installed. After this, test job logs uploaded to the rackspace swift location were no longer viewable in the Zuul dashboard. The reason for this is these objects did not have properly configured CORS headers any longer. The objects uploaded to OVH appear to have been fine (potentially because the headers are not required for OVH).

Today we downgraded the version of openstacksdk on the zuul-executors to 0.61.0 and the rackspace uploaded job log objects have functional CORS headers again. For this reason we're fairly confident that something about the 0.99.0 release is impacting the setting of these headers.

The code that does these uploads with openstacksdk can be found here [0]. I suspect that the problem is going to be related to this header set on line 227 [1]. In particular that appears to be rackspace specific and this issue is rackspace specific under 0.99.0. However, I wasn't able to find anything in openstacksdk that would have a problem with this. Does anyone else have ideas? I'm somewhat concerned that this represents a class of data loss (metadata is going missing) for swift object uploads.

Additionally, we rely on setting the x-delete-after header to timeout, expire, and prune our logs in swift [2]. If there is a general problem with 0.99.0 setting headers on objects it is possible that all of the objects we created using 0.99.0 do not have this metadata set and will leak in their swift containers.

[0] https://opendev.org/zuul/zuul-jobs/src/commit/e69d879caecb454c529a7d757b80ae49c3caa105/roles/upload-logs-base/library/zuul_swift_upload.py
[1] https://opendev.org/zuul/zuul-jobs/src/commit/e69d879caecb454c529a7d757b80ae49c3caa105/roles/upload-logs-base/library/zuul_swift_upload.py#L226-L227
[2] https://opendev.org/zuul/zuul-jobs/src/commit/e69d879caecb454c529a7d757b80ae49c3caa105/roles/upload-logs-base/library/zuul_swift_upload.py#L224