[charms] Team Delegation proposal

Frode Nordahl frode.nordahl at canonical.com
Sat Jul 30 01:24:27 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 5:46 PM Felipe Reyes <felipe.reyes at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for bringing this up.
>
> On Thu, 2022-07-28 at 15:38 -0500, Chris MacNaughton wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > <tl;dr>
> > I would like to propose some new ACLs in Gerrit for the openstack-charms project:
> >
> > - openstack-core-charms
> > - ceph-charms
> > - network-charms
> > - stable-maintenance
> > </tl;dr>
>
> with my openstack-charmer hat on: +1! :-)

Naming tends to stick, the name will remain long after the thought
process and variables present today have diminished, and as such I
would like to discuss the naming of these ACLs. `network-chamrs` is
too broad. I would settle for `ovn-charms`.

> > With an increasing focus split among the openstack-charmers team, I'm observing that people are
> > focused on more specific subsets of the charms, and would like to propose that new ACLs are
> > created to allow us to recognize that officially. I've chosen the breakdown above as it aligns
> > neatly with where the focus lines are at this point, letting developers work on their specific
> > focus areas.
>
> makes sense, it will give developers a stepping stone.
> >
> > This proposal would not reduce permissions for anybody who is currently a core on the openstack-
> > charms project and, in fact, future subteam core members could aspire to full openstack-charmers
> > core as well. Ideally, this approach will let us escalate developers to "core" developers for the
> > subteam(s) where they have demonstrated the expertise we expect in a core-charmer. It also allows
> > a more gradual escalation to being a core in the openstack-charms project, making it a progression
> > rather than a single destination.
>
> /me nods.
>

> > As a related addition, I'm appending to this proposal the creation of a stable-maintenance ACL
> > which would allow members to manage backports withoutth a full core-charmer grant.
>
> This will be greatly appreciated to give maintenance to our stable charms that are seeing more
> backports now that we have branches per OpenStack release \o/

Apart from the naming / areas of the acls I agree with the sentiments above.

--
Frode Nordahl