[kolla] RabbitMQ High Availability

Doug Szumski doug at stackhpc.com
Fri Jul 22 10:29:54 UTC 2022

On 21/07/2022 11:32, Tan Tran Trong wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to figure out how to configure RabbitMQ to make it high
> available. I have 3 controller nodes and 2 compute nodes, deployed
> with kolla with mostly default configuration. The RabbitMQ set
> to ha-all for all queues on all nodes, amqp_durable_queues = True
> My problem is when I shutdown 1 controller node (or 1
> RabbitMQ container) (master or slave) the whole cluster becomes
> unstable. Some instances can not be created, it is stuck on
> Scheduling, Block Device Mapping, the volumes not shown or are stuck
> on creating, the compute node reported dead randomly,...
> I'm looking for documentation to know how Openstack using RabbitMQ,
> Openstack behavior when RabbitMQ node down and way to make RabbitMQ HA
> in a stable way. Do you have any recommendation?

Would it be possible to compare with this approach of running a
clustered Rabbit service, but without mirrored (and durable) queues?

https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/kolla-ansible/+/824994

It won't solve all failure scenarios, but we have seen it help with
controlled shutdowns. We'd be interested in any failure scenarios you
find with those settings.