[all] Debian unstable has Python 3.11: please help support it.

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 20 11:49:38 UTC 2022

On 2022-07-20 09:34:18 +0100 (+0100), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> for the A release the testing runtimes have not been chossen yet
> but my expecation is we will drop 20.04 form the testing
> requirements for master and move to 22.04 making 3.10 our default
> python for tempest integration testing.

Unless I've misunderstood the recent TC discussions around supported
platform overlap, the new release cadence, and upgrade testing, it's
my understanding that we'll still at least need to test that we can
upgrade from Zed to Anchovy/Anteater/Antelope on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
(future A->B and A->C upgrade testing will be able to just use 22.04
LTS though), so it's not going away entirely for master branch tests
until B.

> assuming the python 3.11 interperter and ideally standard libary
> are aviabel as a package to install on 22.04 we should be able to
> add a non vovting py3.11 tox job to replace our current py3.10 job
> and perhaps even have a periodic-weekly python 3.11 tempest job.
[...]

In the past, Ubuntu has waited to backport a new Python minor
version until after its .1 point release is available. For 3.11.1
that's scheduled to be approximately 2 months after 3.11.0 is done,
so expect early December. That puts any Jammy backport of it into
2023 at the earliest, I expect, at best a couple of months before we
release so probably not soon enough in the cycle for meaningful
testing before master is open for B cycle work.
--
Jeremy Stanley